Carrot cake is a family favorite of ours in my home. It’s the cake that my husband and I shared on our wedding day. So, it was initially a somber day when I had to begin following dietary restrictions due to health issues. I could relate to my daughter’s dismay about imagining life without a sentimental food, due to her severe food allergies.
Never having carrot cake was NOT going to be an acceptable option for me. I was going to have to experiment until I could come up with a safe version of the cake for my family. After lots of trial and error, this is recipe is now a coveted masterpiece, my magnum opus if you will.
Please don’t be alarmed by the pecans in the image and that are also mentioned as “optional” in the recipe. You should NEVER include any ingredient that is not safe for your family. Pecans happen to be one of the only nuts my daughter is not allergic to. We were advised by her medical professional to incorporate the nut(s) that she IS NOT allergic to into her diet, so that it will hopefully prevent her from developing an additional allergy.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Allergy Possible!TM FOLLOW ME
Get new RECIPES and more – delivered directly to your inbox for FREE!
Carrot Cake for Goodness Sake!TM [RECIPE]
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 C Brown Rice Flour (I use this brand (paid link) but remember to ***always read the ingredients label!)
- 1/4 C Sweet Rice Flour (I use this brand (paid link) but remember to ***always read the ingredients label!
- 1/2 C Potato Starch (I use this brand (paid link) but remember to ***always read the ingredients label!)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan gum (I use this brand (paid link) but remember to ***always read the ingredients label!)
- A dash of salt
- 1 TBS Cinnamon
- 4 Dashes of Nutmeg
- 2 Large Carrots Grated
- 1 C Raisins
- OPTIONAL: 1 C Crushed Pecans or Walnuts only if they are safe for your family. (I use this brand (paid link) of pecans because they’re not cross contaminated. But remember to ***always read the ingredients label!)
- 1 1/2 Sticks Avocado Butter (room temperature) I use Country Crock Plant Based Avocado Butter. But remember to ***always read the ingredients label!
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar (or Coconut Sugar if that’s safe for your family).
- 1 whole Can of Aquafaba (The liquid from a can of unsalted chickpeas/garbanzo beans).
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (I use this brand (paid link) but remember to ***always read the ingredients label!
- 1 1/2 C Oat Milk
Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium to large sized mixing bowl with a spatula.
- In a separate large bowl, mix avocado butter, sugar, aquafaba and vanilla extract with an electric hand mixer for a few minutes (usually 4 minutes).
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and initially begin mixing with spatula. Then, gradually add in oat milk and use hand mixer to finish mixing (which also adds air into the batter.) (Usually 2-4 minutes).
- Now is the time to add the grated carrots, raisins, and OPTIONAL 3/4 C of nuts (only if they are safe for your family), into the batter. I fold it all in with a spatula until it’s evenly mixed.
- Grease 2 glass pie dishes (for a two layered 9″ round cake) or cupcake liners with avocado butter. Pour batter into the two pie dishes (or spoon batter to fill 12 cupcake liners, in a cupcake pan).
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. (Oven temperatures vary and using metal pans instead of glass will also affect cooking times. You may want to check the cake/cupcakes sooner, or they may even have to bake longer, depending on your oven.)
- After removing from the oven, allow ample time to completely cool. (Don’t apply frosting until the cake is room temperature.)
- I spread buttercream frosting between the two layers of cake and then I frost the entire exterior.
- OPTIONAL: You can sprinkle the remaining 1/4 C of Pecans or Walnuts onto the top of your cake as a garnish, only if those particular nuts are safe for your family.
- Refrigerate immediately after frosting the cake. This cake is best served chilled.
The link below will take you to my Vegan Butter Cream Recipe:
The information provided by Allergy Possible!TM and/or Monique Faella Designs (“we,” “us,” or “our”) on http://www.allergypossible.com and/or on http://www.moniquefaelladesigns (the “site”) is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information on the Site. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
The Site may contain (or you be sent through the Site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness by us. WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING. WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
The Site cannot and does not contain medical/health advice. The medical information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. We do not provide any kind of medical/health advice. THE USE OR RELIANCE OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
The Site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.